The following is a (mostly up-to-date) list of my peer-reviewed journal publications:
- Sharpley, C.F., Bitsika, V., McMillan, M.E., Jesulola, E., Agnew, L.L. (2019) The association between cortisol:C-reactive protein ratio and depressive fatigue is a function of CRP rather than cortisol. Neuropsychiatric Disease and Treatment 15: 2467-2475
- Sharpley, C.F., Bitsika, V., McMillan, M.E., Agnew, L.L. (2019) Incidence, profiles and correlates of the Cortisol Awakening Response in high-functioning young males with ASD. Research in Autism Spectrum Disorders. 57: 145-153 https://doi.org/10.1016/j.rasd.2018.11.001
- Morugán-Coronado, A., García-Orenes, F., McMillan, M., Pereg, L. (2019) The effect of moisture on soil microbial properties and nitrogen cyclers in Mediterranean sweet orange orchards under organic and inorganic fertilization. Science of the Total Environment 655: 158-167
- Sarmukadam, K., Sharpley, C.F., Bitsika, V., McMillan, M. E., Agnew, L.L (2018) A review of the use of EEG connectivity to measure the neurological characteristics of the sensory features in young people with autism. Rev Neurosci. DOI: 10.1515/revneuro-2018-0070 (epub ahead of print)
- Sharpley, C.F., Bitsika, V., Sarmukadam, K., McMillan, M.E, Agnew, L.L., (2018) A Brief Report on the 2.4-Year Test-Retest Agreement of Morning Cortisol and Anxiety in Boys with Autism Spectrum Disorder. Journal of Developmental and Physical Disabilities DOI: 10.1007/s10882-018-9633-x
- Bitsika, V., Sharpley, C.F., McMillan, M.E, Agnew, L.L., (2018) Background cortisol versus Social Anxiety as correlates of HPA-axis recovery from stress in boys with Autism Spectrum Disorder. International Journal of Developmental Neuroscience. 71:52-60
- Hossain, M., McMillan, M., Katz, M.E., Walkden-Brown, S., Gerber, P.F. (2018) Turkey hemorrhagic enteritis virus can be titrated but not propagated in chicken embryos. Avian Diseases. 63 (1): 84-89
- Pereg, L., Morugan-Coronado, A., McMillan, M., Garcia-Orenes, F. (2018) Restoration of nitrogen cycling community in grapevine soil by a decade of organic fertilization. Soil and Tillage Research 179: 11-19
- Pereg, L., Mataix-Solera, J., McMillan, M., Garcia-Orenes, F. (2018 ) The impact of post-fire salvage logging on microbial nitrogen cyclers in Mediterranean forest soil. Science of the Total Environment 619: 1079-1087
- Gerber P.F, Hossain M.F, Reynolds P, Hoang P, Burgess S.K, Renz K, McMillan M, Katz M.E, Walkden-Brown S.W. (2018) Propagation of an Avirulent Turkey Hemorrhagic Enteritis Virus Isolate in Chickens. Avian Disease 62(1): 6-13
- Sharpley, C.F., Christie, D.R.H., Bitsika, V., Agnew, L.L., Andronicos, N.M., Richards, T.M., McMillan, M.E (2018). Comparing a genetic and a psychological factor as correlates of anxiety, depression, and chronic stress in men with prostate cancer. Support Care Cancer. 26(9):3195-3200. doi: 10.1007/s00520-018-4183-4
- Sharpley, C.F., Bitsika, V., McMillan, M.E, Jesulola, E., Agnew, L.L., (2018) Associations between stress and depression symptom profiles vary according to serotonin transporter polymorphism in rural Australians. Neuropsychiatric Disease and Treatment. 14: 2007-2016
- Sharpley, C.F., Christie, D.R.H., Bitsika, V., Agnew, L.L., Andronicos, N.M., McMillan, M.E. (2017) Associations between reduced telomere length, depressed mood, anhedonia, and irritability in prostate cancer patients: Further evidence for the presence of “male depression”? Psycho‐Oncology. 2017;1–3. https://doi.org/10.1002/pon.4547
- Sharpley, C.F., Christie, D.R.H., Bitsika, V., Agnew, L.L., Andronicos, N.M., McMillan, M.E., Richards, T.M. (2017). Limitations in the inverse association between psychological resilience and depression in prostate cancer patients experiencing chronic physiological stress. Psycho-Oncology DOI: 10.1002/pon.4496.
- Sharpley, C.F., Christie, D.R.H., Bitsika, V., Andronicos, N.M., Agnew, L.L., McMillan, M.E (2017) Does psychological resilience buffer against the link between the 5-HTTLPR polymorphism and depression following stress. Physiology and Behaviour. 180: 53-59
- Sharpley, C.F., Christie, D.R.H., Bitsika, V., Agnew, L.L., Andronicos, N.M., McMillan, M.E., Richards, T.M. (2017). Neurobiological and psychological evidence of chronic stress in prostate cancer patients. European Journal of Cancer Care. DOI: 10.1111/ecc.12671
- Sharpley, C.F., Christie, D.R.H., Bitsika, V., Agnew, L.L., Andronicos, N.M., McMillan, M.E., Richards, T.M. (2017). The use of salivary cortisol as an index of chronic stress that correlates with depression in prostate cancer patients. Psycho-Oncology DOI:10.1002/pon.4327
- Thiab, N; King, N; McMillan, M; Almashhadany A; Jones, G. (2016) Age-related protein and mRNA expression of glutathione peroxidases (GPx) and Hsp-70 in different rat kidney regions with and without stressor. AIMS Molecular Science (under review)
- Pereg, L. and McMillan, M. (2015) Scoping the potential uses of beneficial microorganisms for increasing productivity in cotton cropping systems. Soil Biology & Biochemistry 80: 349-358
- Hou, X; McMillan, M; Coumans, J.V.F; Poljak, A; Raftery, M.J. and Pereg, L. (2014) Cellular responses during morphological transformation in Azospirillum brasilense and its flcA knockout mutant. PLoS ONE 9(12) e114435.
- McMillan, M. and Pereg, L. (2014) Evaluation of reference genes for gene expression analysis using quantitative RT-PCR in Azospirillum brasilense. PLoS ONE 9(5) e98162.
- McMillan, M; McCusker, B; Andronicos, N; Stockwell, S; Hinch, G and Schmoelzl, S. (2013) Claudin-8 expression in Sertoli cells and putative spermatogonial stem cells in the bovine testis. Reproduction, Fertility and Development 26(5): 633-644.
- Colgrave, M; Stockwell, S; Grace, A; McMillan, M; Davey, R; Lehnert, S and Schmoelzl, S. (2013) Global proteomic profiling of the membrane compartment of bovine testis cell populations. Journal of Integrated –OMICS 3(2): 99-111.
A regularly updated list of all research publications can be accessed via: